Last time we spoke about land rates and how to pay them, today we are going to look at land rent. Most people confuse land rate with land rent. By definition, land rent is the levy which is charged on leasehold parcels of land whereby the annual rent is reserved at the time the grant is being issued. It is payable to the Ministry of Lands and Physical Planning. A Land rent clearance certificate which is valid for one year is issued to serve as evidence of payment of land rent and all the outstanding land rent levies.
How to pay land rent.
The process is quite simple because it is done using any type of mobile phone.
Here are the steps that you should follow;
- Register by sending a SMS with the word ‘lands’ to the number 21504. A SMS confirming your subscription to the land service will be sent to you.
- Dial *512# so as to access the service.
- You will receive a prompt asking you if you want to continue registering. Note that you will be charged Kshs 5 per SMS for this service.
- If you choose to proceed, you will receive another prompt with the options such as registering your land, land tracking and land rate payment.
- For the case of the land rate, you will be required to enter your land reference number, I.D number and to confirm your details.
- You will then receive a SMS with your payment options.